Saturday, September 30, 2006

9/29 Cinque Terre Day 1


The great thing about this trip is that we winged it. We bought our train tickets and that was about it. No other planning was involved. We headed out to Monterosse, the northernmost of the five villages. We heard about this abandoned church that Gonzaga kids have camped out at in the past. Not too many people go to it because it's located in the opposite direction of the five towns.
It was already getting pretty dark when we hit the trail, and I was nervous because we had no idea where the church was. The trail was very steep and the three girls we went with were lagging. I was sweating bullets with my 60 pound backpack on. 45 minutes later, in the afterglow of the sunset, we came to the ancient church. It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. The church sits on top of a bluff overlooking the Mediterranean. Looking out, all you can see is pink clouds and blue ocean with the sliver of a moon shining over them. WE sat out there and ate bread and meat and drank wine. I have never sat in front of such a beautiful view. I know that someday I will be back to this spot because as of now, it's the most amazing sight I've ever seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home