Friday, September 22, 2006

firenze

Wow, Florence. What an incredible city. Today the entire group went up to Piazza Michelangelo for the big group photo. The view was stunning. Last night was a blast. We had dinner in the park as a group. Everyone brought their own wine, which is practically free here. Then we headed to Public House, which is the bar of choice for Gonzaghini. It has been for the past few years, but to be honest, I don't see why it's so special. I had fun there, but it's all Americanized and can get pretty crowded. It is pretty nice to see so many people in one gathering though.
After hiking up to Piazza Michelangelo today, we headed back home via the Ponte Vecchio. I took a decent nap, but I recently developed a problem in which I sleep with my eyes open. It's bizarre and I don't know why all of a sudden this has happened. I hope it's not an ongoing thing.
I had an excellent dinner with Kate and Danny at some restaurant on Via Cavour and then briefly met up with some people at this pub called the Joshua Tree. We found out that Fiorentina plays on Sunday so I'm looking forward to watching my first game at some pub. I'm a little overwhelmed because it there are SO MANY opportunities here. In our orientation meeting today, they talked about conversation partners, community service opportunities, yoga, reflection groups, and even getting a competitive soccer team together with a pro coach. I don't even know where I'm going to start, but I'm loving it so much already. I'm really hooked on the language already, and I love practicing it on the streets and in the stores. I hope I'll be able to communicate well and confidently by the end of the year.
Tomorrow I'm gonna go on a run and check out some of the countryside and then meet up with John to continue our scavenger hunt. Julie Berry and Alli O'Brien left us a clue in the mailroom that said to find our next clue at a place where people put messages, and we spent about an hour searching the campus for that. But later that night we stumbled across that next clue when we were at Public House. It was written on the bathroom wall where people from the summer program and past years leave notes for future Florence students. Our next stop: the triangle bridge. The hunt has been pretty fun so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home