Wednesday, September 20, 2006

9/14: Krakow and Auschwitz

The women here are beautiful. I didn't see it coming. But I'll get back to that later.
We were all exposed to the dangers of traveling this morning. A person staying in our hostel was murdered in the back alley last night. It was an Australian who may have been out with us the night before. It's unclear exactly what happened, but it showed me that there really is danger out there. They said that they're hiring a private guard to patrol the hostel for the next day, and they also said that the man who died fell out of his window while he was drunk. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case though because someone in our group saw the body and said it looked more like he was stabbed. Plus I overheard the woman working the desk telling someone over the phone that there had been a murder there. The cops were there all day investigating.
The tour today was pretty fascinating. We saw a variety of large churches and went up into the main castle. We visited JPII's main church. The cathedrals here are amazing. I took some good pics, but there was so much to take in at once. Krakow is how I envisioned old Europe to be like: large Gothic buildings and cobblestone streets.
We ended the tour in the large town square, which has become my favorite spot in Europe so far. Just as we were about to go get some lunch, the most incredible thing happened. A marching band came through the town square, leading a parade. And as it turns out, this was a Miss World parade! Miss America, Miss Colombia, Miss Austria...every country was in it. Talk about being at the right place at the right time!
I got a Kabob, which is like a pita except way better and way cheaper. Everything is cheap here. I love it. This afternoon we're off to Auschwitz. It should be a moving experience.
Auschwitz
Miller and I arrived at Auschwitz at 3:30 p.m., but we were 60 years too late. It was a lot to process, but I left feeling angry and confused. The camps were way bigger than I had ever expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home