Wednesday, September 20, 2006

9/17: Prague

The first full day in Prague has been pretty eventful. Last night I decided to lay low but did make it to the main city square. It's a little bit of a treck from the hotel, but just like in Krokaw, I was amazed when I got there. IT was pretty packe with people, but there's an interesting old sculpture in the middle and many elaborite buildings. There's an amazing cathedral in the middle, and the bells ring every hour. A lady pokes her head out one of the window and everyone cheers. I'm still not too sure why. A bunch of us sat at a cafe, talked it up, and just took in the whole scene. It felt great. Today we went on a tour of the city. We started off in the castle, which is unbelievable. Some of the buildings here are so intricate that you could spend weeks just sitting there analyzing all the art. We then went down into the city, crossed the bridge, and ended up in the square. They say that Prague is the Florence of Eastern Europe. I hope so, because this place is cool.
After the tour, we had room selections for when we get to Florence. As I expected, things got pretty complicated among the guys. It's not like anyone was being difficult or selfish about where they wanted to live. Actually, I think a lot of us are already getting pretty close, and we didn't want our friends left out or screwed over whenit came to rooms and roommates. In the end I think it worked out for the most part. I'm rooming with Miller at Savonarola House, which I hear is very good. There are a lot of people living there, and many more guys than girls. I'm fine with that.
Tonight for dinner we get caviar and salmon. There's no way I'm doing the caviar, and I don't know about salmon in the Czech Republic. All in all, the food so far hasn't been all that good. It makes you realize how good you have it in America.
After dinner we're going out to celebrate Harrison's 21st birthday. It's a Sunday, so I don't know how much is going on, but there are 130 Gonzaga students here, so I don't think it'll be bad at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home