Saturday, January 13, 2007

12/29/06 Snakes on a Bar


Today I accomplished a lot. I had a good breakfast and then boarded the bus to tour the island of Djerba. Our first stop was at the Pop Museum, some museum that was supposed to display Djerba’s culture. It was pretty much pointless and very strange. It was basically a joke and we all got a kick out of it when all was said and done. Then we went to a Synagogue that was pretty interesting. After that we went to a town wit ha large market with tons of shops and vendors. This is where I did most of my buying for the trip. The vendors were very aggressive and sold the same things, mostly useless junk. They all have the same lines everywhere we’ve been: “Hallo…Amereecan? Everything one dinar…Just look.” Conor, Matt, and I bought a hookah set for 35 dinar. It’s really cool looking and I hope we can get it back to the states eventually in tact. I bought a few other small gifts and then we went back to the hotel. For lunch I had some decent pizza and then napped pretty much up until dinner.

Dinner was great as usual. After dinner we went to the hookah bar, hung out there for a while, and then went to the discotech. They had a live snake show that was very very entertaining. The snake guy was nuts and I’m surprised he’s still in business. He put a snake in Peter Markun’s pant leg, guiding it through the top of his pants. I can’t believe Pete survived the experience. He brought out some scorpions, and couple of lizards, and a boa constrictor. The coolest part was when he brought out the cobra. He took three out and played with them at the same time. They flared up their necks and bit at him several times, hissing as they struck. It was a lot of fun to watch and I’m surprised he didn’t get bit. After that, John, Conor, Matt and I hung out by the pool under the stars and then called it a night. Tomorrow is a free day and I’m doing nothing but lounging all day long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home