Thursday, October 19, 2006

down weekend

The rain came for the first time today. After classes, I did some homework, ate a large lunch, and took a very long nap. It was one of those naps where you finally wake up and you don't know what time of day it is. I really didn't do much after that, just watched some movies, bought groceries for the weekend, and chilled.
This week was all about recouping from the Amalfi weekend and trying to keep up in school. The highlight was my dinner at the Castellani residence, a family that Danny Christiansen and I visit once a week. We teach the kids English and they help us with our Italian. They're very friendly. Lidia, the mother, is a journalist and author. Fabbio, 11, is a very good tennis player, and Giulia, 14, speaks pretty good English and is very social. Their father is a businessman who spends a lot of time in Germany, so I haven't met him yet. On Wednesday we arrived at 7, spoke in English with the kids while Lidia prepared dinner, and then conversed in Italian while we ate. I think Danny and I did pretty well and they were impressed. After just that one dinner of speaking Italian, my confidence speaking the language has increased significantly.
A lot of the group is going to Southern Tuscany, but I'm sticking around this weekend, trying to save some money for Bosnia/Croatia and Elba. Weather and luck pending, we're off to Cinqueterre once again this weekend, with another small group of people. The way it works out, it's actually cheaper to camp in Cinqueterre than it is to stay in Firenze for the weekend. Plus I'm already dying to get back to the old church to catch the sunset.
We weren't planning on going anywhere for Thanksgiving weekend, even though we have a couple extra days off. The group trip was to Sicily, but for like 250 euro. Not enough kids signed up so it was pretty much cancelled. Earlier this week, though, John found cheap tickets up to Shannon, Ireland, so we'll be spending the long weekend in Galway, Ireland, with some GU friends who are studying up there. It should be a blast and I can't wait to see Ireland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home