Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Valley Like This


The lake is all mine today. It's just me, green water, and an early autumn breeze with Rattlesnake Ledge towering above us. I was pretty disappointed when I found the front tire of my bike completely flat this morning. It was going to be out last ride of the year together. But Andrew's bike held up fine, though he wasn't joking when he said it shifts on its own.
This will probably be my last chance to take in the beauty of this valley before I leave. I'm sad that another summer has come and gone, and I didn't get to do nearly enough of the things that define my vision of a summer. I spent most of my time working. I didn't get down to the river nearly enough, my bike never saw single track, and I didn't do any camping. That's not to say it was a bad summer. I just miss the times when I was free to do anything and everything on my own time.
With Europe approaching so rapidly, the fact that I'll be away for the year hasn't set in yet. Every time I say good-bye to someone, it's as if I'll see them tomorrow. I guess you don't truly miss what you have until it's gone. With all that being said, I cannot wait for what lies ahead.

What I disliked about this summer:
  • Work (especially 14 hour days)
  • Lack of free time
  • US's early World Cup exit
  • Being away from my GU friends
  • Summer weather not arriving until July
  • The fact that the valley has turned into a tourist trap
  • Having to finally face the music: I'm going to be away from the people and places I love for nine months.

What I loved about this summer:

  • Paychecks
  • Riding up to Rattlesnake Lake
  • The river
  • The weekend at the ocean
  • My two trips to Spokane
  • Pick-up soccer w/ the European dudes
  • The Cle Elum River
  • Leavenworth
  • Chelan (especially Labor Day Weekend)

1 Comments:

Blogger Halley Griffin said...

Um, hi. This: "I guess you don't truly miss what you have until it's gone." is so true. I felt like I was in denial about leaving until I was here, in a hotel, realizing that I wasn't going to see friends or family for a verrry long time!

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home