Monday, July 21, 2008

An Ode to House


My main man Matt Miller just left home to embark on the journey of his life- a two year commitment to Jesuit Volunteers International to work in Micronesia. He plans on writing a blog as well, which I’m certain will be absolutely amazing, and I’ll post the link as soon as I get it.
The first time I met Miller, we were freshmen who happened to secure the same ride home for Battle in Seattle a couple weeks after Christmas Break. The pass was covered in snow and our driver wasn’t exactly stellar. She lost control and began fishtailing, eventually slamming into the soft, snow-covered I-90. It was one of the few times in my life that I felt true mortal danger. Miller and I very well could’ve died together that day, but instead, over the next three years, it was living that we did. Living very, very well.

At first I was appalled and confused by the guy. He would open the door and address people while in the process of using the bathroom, something that at first was bizarre to me, but eventually became commonplace. We lived together for the year in Florence, and it was probably one of the best things that could’ve happened to me that year. I think our mindsets lined up pretty well- we both placed high value on getting to know Italian culture, experiencing adventure, and taking afternoon naps. Even though physically, we’re just about the exact opposite, we have a lot in common. It’s no surprise that both of us are spending the next two years making a difference somewhere in the middle of the Pacific.

We’ve shared millions of laughs together and I wish we could sit back and kick it for just a few minutes sometime soon. I’m not gonna lie- I miss every single one of my roommates from 803. They were definitely my second family. Right now, all six of us are about to start some sort of service in a different part of the country/world: Micronesia, Hawaii, Rio Grande Valley Texas, Philadelphia, Spokanistan, New Jersey. When all is said and done, hopefully sometime not too far down the road, we’re all going to be together again, with a beverage of choice in hand, sitting around some TV somewhere talking about absolutely nothing for several hours. I can’t wait.

Good luck Miller, Jr, Johnny, Sir, and Touchdown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home