Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Missed It

February 9, 2007. We sat in a smoky hookah bar in Istanbul, pulling away on flavored tobacco and chatting the night away. Surrounded by Islamic tradition, we didn't dare crack a beer or open a bottle of wine. There wasn't a pub in sight. It was just four good friends, strong sheesha, and great conversation.

At some point one of us had a great idea. Conor pulled out an old metro pass and wrote down the exact date and American time at that moment. Below that he wrote "Drunk." Then we took a picture.


The plan was that one year from that exact time, and then every year following, we would stop whatever we were doing and drink to honor that moment in our lives. I think we even pulled it off the next year in Spokane. But after graduation, we went our separate ways and forgot all about the obligation we had set in stone on February 9, 2007.

For whatever reason, I remembered "The Obligation" today. I didn't remember the exact date, but I knew it was sometime around now. So I went back and checked, and to my disappointment, I discovered that I had missed it by four days. It's not like I would have been able to follow through with it even if I had known it was coming, but I still found myself wishing that I hadn't forgotten.

Let us never forget how much pure life we experienced in that splendid year. This one's for you guys.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home