Monday, April 30, 2007

L'Ultima Cena


Sadly, Thursday night was my last night in Firenze. But I made sure that it would be special. I had planned it out so that we would go to dinner with what had been my family away from home for the past year: the Castellani family, and of course, Professor Batterman. My mom and I first went over to the Castellani house to introduce my mom to the family. Lidia and my mom got along really well and my mom was impressed with how smart and fun the kids were. Florian was also in town, and it was great to talk with him over dinner. We met up with everyone else, including Mike Lerch’s family, at a nearby pizzeria and had some decent ‘za. We talked about all sorts of things, had a great time, and then said our goodbyes. It was tough to say goodbye to the family, as they had been such a huge part of my life this year. Danny and I learned so much from them. Saying goodbye to Professore and his family was equally tough, as he has opened so many doors for me this year. I would not have gotten to know Italy the way I did without him, and I owe so much to him. “Tornero’, Professore. Arrivederci,” I told him as I walked away. After parting ways, mom and I went to the Santa Croce area in search of Vivoli, which was her favorite gelateria. We finally found it, and the gelato definitely was very tasty.

That evening, the town was alive as usual. The piazzas were packed with care-free people and music filled the warm spring air. Deep inside, I was frantically struggling to take in everything one last time, desperately swallowing the sights, sounds, and emotions of Florence as to fill my heart with as much of it as I could before I left it for who knows how long. But in reality, wherever I am, my heart will always be full and satisfied with the sight of the Duomo, the warmth of the Ponte Vecchio at night, the worry-free joy of Piazza Repubblica, and all the other things that have become engraved in my soul during this year abroad. These types of things never leave you.

Will I return? Absolutely. I don’t want to wait 30 years like my mom did. It’s a different time now, and traveling is a little easier than it was back then. When will I return, and for how long? That’s the question. Honestly, I could see myself spending a lot of time in Florence. I’ve made lifelong friends there, my Italian skills have come along significantly, and I’ve turned it into my home. I’m part of Florence and Florence is part of me. Our great reunion will remain a mystery. But mysteries like that are what make life so interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home